FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
Cole's Rating: ★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★ ½
Director: Robert Rodriguez
Year: 1996
Cast: George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, Quentin Tarantino, Juliette Lewis
Genre: Action/Crime/Horror
MPAA Rating: R
From Dusk Till Dawn is, by no means, a great film. In fact, I’d barely call it a good one. There are two reasons I’m recommending it, and I’ll bet you can guess why. Here’s a hint: Mr. Tarantino has his name on it. Now, he didn’t direct; Robert Rodriguez did, but Tarantino wrote and acted. With these two’s history, you know that when they put their heads together, the result isn’t going to be subtle or unnoticed. In fact, those are the last adjectives I would use to describe their 90’s gorefest because the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the film is silly, then I have to force myself to recall the first 45 minutes (before the movie took a turn for the worst).
And if you haven’t guessed by now, the first thing that makes this movie so enjoyable is the cast. Tarantino’s movies never lack strong actors/actresses, and From Dusk Till Dawn is no exception. Harvey Keitel plays the father of two (Juliette Lewis being one) who are kidnapped by notorious robbers, played by George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino himself. I won’t disclose anymore, but if you know of the film, then I’m sure you can connect the dots on where it heads. I never said I hated the twist (it ends up working in a sense), but with how great everything prior to this plot turn was set up, this movie could be a four-star slam dunk. This assembly of the veteran actors/actresses in the film make the first half of the movie seem like Best Picture worthy stuff, and they even manage to make the second half bearable.
The other factor that makes this recommendable and enjoyable is the writing (particularly the screenplay). Every scene is taken full advantage of, throwing in humor, intensity, engagement, and a sense of likability to the characters (most), ultimately making this a treat to fall subject to the intrigue that writers Robert Kurtzman and Quentin Tarantino so successfully create. The movie sets itself up very nicely. But then it’s the story that makes you go, “ohhhhh, that’s where this was heading”. (No positive connotation meant). It turns a contender with Reservoir Dogs into a film that Leonard Maltin called “Natural Born Vampires”.
If you’re looking for a fun movie, look no further. If you are looking for a masterpiece, look elsewhere. If you are a film buff, you might get a kick out of some of the vibrant writing seen throughout. If you dig cheesed out Hollywood endings, go see World War Z. From Dusk Till Dawn’s conclusion is a knockout!
-Written by Cole Pollyea
Jesse’s Thoughts: From Dusk Till Dawn plays like two different flicks all together. The first half is a kidnapping/road movie complete with mediocre acting (George Clooney tries way too hard and Quentin Tarantino, well he's a better director than an actor) and a script that isn't quite as sharp as what Tarantino's has been known to put out. The second half is a ferocious battle between humans and bloodthirsty vampires. For me, the second half is slightly better. In the end though, it's a segment that's more stylish than anything else. Back in 1996, From Dusk Till Dawn was supposed to be Clooney's first true big screen debut (it coincided with his successful E.R. show). Unfortunately, it comes off more as a slight misfire despite Robert Rodriquez's capable direction and some effectively campy special effects. In general, this film is uneven and the vampire sequences which are meant to scare you senseless don't take themselves seriously. I put the blame on the cast because they come off as goofballs. Chalk this one up as a mixed review from me. From what I understand, this movie spawned some sequels. I guess you could call the next installment "From Bad To Worse".
I liked your review somewhat Cole. This movie was meant to be FUN with surprises. Lots of them. The continual guessing of how everyone will get out of a bad situation keeps you biting your nails. The un-nerving effect was effective. Not a masterpiece but entertaining. Uncle Jesse, I think goofballs is a bit strong, the acting was exceptional.
ReplyDeleteI value your opinion no doubt about it. But Clooney just seems like he's trying too hard, like he's trying to win an oscar. And Tarantino, he should seriously stick to directing. When he's acting, you can tell that it's amateur hour. Honestly, I think it's a midly entertaining film, but it's so darn hard to take this thing seriously. It's so campy I wanted to build a fire.
ReplyDelete