Cole's Rating: ★★★ ½
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Year: 2013
Cast: Hugh Jackman, Maria Bello, Jake Gyllenhaal
Genre: Crime/Drama/Thriller
MPAA Rating: R
MPAA Rating: R
In 2007, a movie of infinite intellectual stature and vivid potency hit theaters around the US (naturally) and left a major mark on cinema; it forever raised the expectations of a crime-drama-thriller. And this was definitely in the back of my mind as I viewed the latest movie of the same genre(s), PRISONERS. The aforementioned movie I referenced was David Fincher’s ZODIAC, a genuinely haunting motion picture that, in my mind, should have at least garnered Best Picture in 2007. Why, one may ask, was I reminded of that masterpiece when I viewed PRISONERS, then? In addition to having similar plot development, it stars the same actor and is extremely absorbing. Here, two respective little girls are out frolicking in the cold after their families finish their Thanksgiving meal, but sooner or later, their families notice that they’ve been gone for some time. After an extensive search around the house and neighborhood, it’s concluded that these little girls have been kidnapped.
As terrifying as the initial entry into this movie sounds, it only gets more frightening, adding layers and layers onto the mystery with every scene. While it lacks the audacity and therefore brilliance of Fincher’s direction in ZODIAC, Canadian director Denis Villeneuve does an adequate job of holding the reigns; at some times I’d say he’s holding too tightly, and at others, not enough. For the most part, it flows nicely and what’s happening on screen is simple yet fascinating.
As for the acting, most members of the cast pull through. While I believe that Hugh Jackman sincerely overacted his part, Jake Gyllenhall’s quietly powerful performance reiterates why he’s so talented in the acting industry. As for the other participants (who should’ve received more screen presence than they did), they did just fine. I wouldn’t quite say PRISONERS was made to specifically showcase acting talent, though.
All in all, I’d say that PRISONERS is among some of the best films so far this year. I don’t know if it will last over the years, but I can say that there were few seconds of screen time in which I wasn't engaged. At the end of this picture, take a ruler and measure how far your back is from the seat. I think you’ll find that you might need a yardstick or two.
-Written by Cole Pollyea
Click HERE for Jesse's Take on PRISONERS
No comments:
Post a Comment