Sunday, January 20, 2013

THE GREY

   Cole's Rating: A
Thatcher's Rating: A
Uncle Jesse's Rating: A

Year: 2011
Cast: Liam Neeson, Dermot Mulroney
Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
MPAA Rating: R


     If you ever thought you were as cold as you could be, you’ve thought wrong. If you ever thought that you feared an animal as much as you could fear one, you’ve thought wrong. If you’ve ever thought that you gave all you got in attempt to survive, you’ve thought wrong. This compelling motion picture is about several oil riggers who endure a traumatic plane crash in the middle of the Alaskan Wilderness, and have to battle not only the brutal conditions, but wolves also. The Grey sets the standard for coldness, fear of animal, and the will to survive.

This movie had me sweating, fearing, laughing, praying, and saddened. This fact alone says that it was the perfect thriller. Liam Neeson is the pack leader, I mean what other role could he play? He is a take charge kind of guy, and he definitely takes charge in this movie. He maneuvers the group through and throughout several situations that I know I would never be able to do. For example, when they come to a cliff, they have to cross. They cannot go back and they can’t jump it. So he devises the plan of creating a big rope or zip line to climb across. He fits the role perfectly. 

The cinematography in my opinion was outstanding. The horrific frost bite on Neeson’s face caused by the bitter coldness was so detailed, that it was the only thing I could look at while studying his frosted physical state. It bothers many other critics that this movie was not filmed in Alaska, but Canada, even though it took place in Alaska. However, although I would have appreciated the real thing, I am left indifferent. 

One of the things I appreciated the most about this movie, is the emotional flashbacks to his wife. This to me, was a very important part of the movie, and a very informative part also. Another constant flashback that was necessary and touching, was with his father, who wrote a poem that drove the movie in many directions.

“Once more into the fray.
Into the last fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day.
Live and die on this day.”

This movie is one that will remain with me forever, it truly teaches you to love and appreciate the ones you have. Love nearby on this day. Love nearby on this day.

Written by Cole Pollyea

2 comments:

  1. Heather2/19/2013

    Great review....the movie was a real nail biter. The wolves were better than twilight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, thanks for the feedback Heather!

      Delete