Cole's Rating: ★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★★★
Director: George Lucas
Year: 1973
Cast: Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Charles Martin Smith
Genre: Comedy/Drama
MPAA Rating: PG
Identifying itself as one of the most iconic films of the 70’s, American Graffiti is incredibly deserving of that label. The most memorable thing about it is how successfully it captures the scene of teenage life in its time, the 60's. Back then, it seems as if all kids had to do was drive cars, chase girls, and wait for the night to end—or for the next day to begin. The ragtag group consisted of tough guys, nerds, lovers, and people that are indecisive. With all of these characters in mind, it can be tough to care about a few, but as you’ll realize when the movie ends, you grew to knew a lot of these people. Whether or not you choose to like them is up to you as a person, but George Lucas may as well have made this in 3D because he’s throwing these characters—and their lives—right at you.Richard Dreyfuss plays Curt, a boy who attempts to decide if he’s going to leave his life in the small town behind to go to college with Steve (played by Ron Howard), or stay behind and become something of a low-life, like their car-racing pal John Milner (played by Paul Le Mat). Something to learn about around these parts is that “if you had a car, you were in”, said my grandfather, a lifelong lover of the movie, and a teenager around the time the movie was set in. Toad, played by Charles Martin Smith, never had the privilege to own a car (in addition to the fact that he had several other things going against him). So when Steve lends him his car for the night, he’s ecstatic. He drives around in attempt to pick up a girl and take her for a ride. It’s not hard to keep up with what’s going on with these characters, but sometimes they are made out so unappealing that it’s hard to care. About halfway through, I decided that I can’t give the film higher than three stars (a basic recommendation) because it didn’t have the ability to keep me interested in what was happening. However, Toad stole the show for me, and I sincerely enjoyed seeing him on screen as far as the predicaments he got himself into, as did Milner, who picked up a young teen girl by accident.
Most of the characters’ situations are used to the film’s comedic and dramatic benefit; there are few scenes that go unnoticed and un-utilized. I’m sure that you’ll laugh out loud at one point in the movie, whether it be at intentional comedic dialogue, someone’s pity (don’t worry, I’m not judging you), or just remembering how it was as a kid. I wasn’t around during that time, and maybe that’s why I didn’t laugh as much as most people did (though I do believe it's in addition to the other mentioned reason, which was the lack of highly interesting material). That’s exactly why American Graffiti is a cult classic.
-Written by Cole Pollyea
Jesse's Thoughts: The legend of American Graffiti goes like this: George Lucas stated that he took on the challenge of directing a nostalgic 60's (events take place in 1962) car-cruising movie to show his bud Francis Ford Coppola (yes the guy who directed The Godfather) that he could do more than just sci-fi material. The result is a threaded masterpiece that never hits a false note. It's about fancy automobiles, driving around at night, hanging out with your buddies, and looking into the lives of some neat and ambitious high schoolers. Look out for a young Harrison Ford and famed director Ron Howard (Opie Taylor grows up). Also, stay for the closing credits. Along with 1970's M.A.S.H., they've been copied many times over. Basically this movie is pure, unabashed brilliance. And Lucas is your tour guide through his vast cinematic canvas of Northern California.
As your grandfather Cole I will simply say that I knew everyone one of those characters when I was growing up. I'd even go so far as to say that one of them could have been myself. I will leave that up to you to decide which one.
ReplyDelete