Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Best And The Worst Of 2012 (Cole)

Cole's Top 10

1. Argo
-Great directing, original idea with a heart-racing conclusion. Best movie of the year, and this movie safely rests as one of my new favorites. 

2. Flight
-A peak performance for Denzel, surprised he didn’t win Best Actor. It was a saddening, great movie about the life of an alcoholic. This film was very much enjoyed and appreciated by this critic.

3. Silver Linings Playbook
-Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best this year because it's raw, genuine, lovely, and crazy all at the same time. Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jennifer Lawrence really knocked it out of the park in this highly enjoyable, heartwarming serving of real life—in a movie.

4. The Dark Knight Rises
-I am obsessed with Nolan’s movies. This may be one of his best, and it concludes the series with a bang. This is now one of my favorite superhero series. 

5. The Grey
-Similar idea to Alive, but I thought this did a better job. The ending is what makes the movie one of the best this year.6. Trouble With The Curve
-Two actors in the opposite time of their lives (Eastwood and Timberlake), not to mention Amy Adams act in what seems to be one of the best and most touching baseball movies out there.

6. The Odd Life Of Timothy Green
-Wonderful movie. Pleasing to all audiences. I found this movie entertaining, loving, and clever all at the same time.

7. Les Miserables
-Great adaption of the play itself, however a little too much singing in this one. But, I still love it and recommend it to all, with ears that is. 

8. The Amazing Spider-Man
-The only reason I second guess this film is because it requires the comparison to the original Spiderman starring Tobey Maguire and the sequels that follow, because both films are great. One of the things that I liked the most about this film was Emma Stone, who stole the show in my mind.

9. Life of Pi
-Marvelous visual effects meets a moving performance meets an epic storyline... Only to fall short with its faithful depiction of a conclusion.

10. Looper
-Willis and Levitt raise the standard for modern time traveling movies. Great storyline with effective subplots. Good flick.

Cole's Worst 5

1. That’s My Boy
-This is what I consider the worst movie this year because of the opportunity it missed. Horribly acted, with a very dumb plot (that could’ve been funny). Aside from Adam Sandler, it was poorly casted also. Like I said, I was anticipating this movie to be on the former list. Swing-and-a-miss.

2. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2
-Well, it was not good. It was horridly acted... Like I said in my review, because of the poor acting, I couldn’t take the serious parts seriously. 

3. Pitch Perfect
-One of the most loved and praised movies of 2012 is hated by me. First off, I’m not a fan of musicals (excluding Les Miserables). Second, this movie just wasn’t good. The fact that is was so popular (mainly among teens) made it even worse.

4. One For The Money
-Did we really need this film? Did we really need to see a bad version of The Bounty Hunter? My answer to both of those questions are two big no’s.

5. Taken 2
-Very unoriginal, and very predictable. Let’s just write this one up as one they did not need to make a sequel to, and one they just shouldn’t have.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/27/2013

    I agree with all of your choices EXEPT Odd life of Timothy Green, which was a steaming pile of crap.First of all, The parents are the most irresponsible people IN THE WORLD. They let him go to a pool party without asking if he could swim, get mad when he makes his first friend, and , most importantly, the KEEP a KID WHO CLAIMS TO COME FROM THE GARDEN. THEY ALSO TELL THIS TO THE ADOPTION AGENCY. WHY WOULD THE ADOPTION AGENCY LISTEN TO THIS CRAP. Anyway it was a terrible film in my opinion. the rest of the list is fine, though Django shouldv'e nabbed a spot. But I know you didn't see it, so I'll forgive that. BUT TIMOTHY GREEN! ARRRGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well! Even thought it wasn't what I was expecting, thanks for the opinion! I think you might need to watch the film again, and appreciate it as a whole-hearted tale about a special boy who changed the lives of two parents forever.

      Delete