Cole's Rating: ★★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★★★
Thatcher's Rating: ★★★★
Year: 1994
Cast: John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis
Genre: Crime/Thriller
MPAA Rating: R
The idea of this movie and its events and chronological structure revolutionized cinema forever. I'm sure that titles such as Memento would not be what they are without at least some motivation from this film, as Quentin Tarantino wrote one of the most original, innovative scripts of all time. The film didn't have a main plot, or really a plot at all, but not like Scorsese's style. No, this this had a style that the world had not yet seen. It had several subplots that split the movie into portions. First off, Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta give the performances of their careers as two hit men for a crime boss, Marcellus Wallace (played by Ving Rhames). Bruce Willis plays a crooked boxer who scams Wallace out of his money, and last but not least, Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer star as a hopeless couple who plan to rob a restaurant. Oh, and I forgot one of the most important subplots of all, the relationship between Travolta's and Uma Thurman's characters. (Thurman plays Marcellus's wife). All of these portions and characters in the movie connect and interact in and out of chronological order in the best and most intriguing way, that makes Pulp Fiction one of the best movies ever produced. I'm sorry, did my summary confuse you? What? Did you say 'what'? "Say what again! SAY WHAT AGAIN!!"
Pulp Fiction is overflowing with whip smart, entertaining dialogue. That's not an easy thing for a movie to have either, and few movies contain it. Think about your average conversation with your dealer when you bring a OD'd woman over to his house for an adrenaline shot without his consent. Now that you've thought about it, write the dialogue, and make it sound good, and realistic. I can assure you, that only one in a million can do that, and that's what Pulp Fiction is; it's one in a million, but it sure stands out doesn't it?By the time this movie was over, my social life had shot through the roof, due to all of the friends that I made while watching the movie. I knew most of them pretty well, and would've undoubtedly been able to fit right in. Each character's life was delved into; especially Willis's character. His backstory contained Christopher Walken as a cameo, as he played his father's war buddy (it's a flashback). Samuel L. Jackson appears to be holding out for something, as he developed more faith throughout the movie. And as far as I can tell, the Wallace's don't have the best marital relationship, as they are shown in the same scene multiple times, however they never once exchange words on-screen. What every movie wants to accomplish is the ability to make its fictitious character come to life; that's exactly what Pulp Fiction did.
This is not a movie for the queasy. This is also not a movie for pacifists; I can tell you that right now. This movie is filled to the brim with violence and death. Pulp Fiction wouldn't be what it is without it either, as it makes room for much humor, drama, romance (believe it or not), and intrigue. All of these factors accent each other perfectly to produce a film of this caliber.As I wrote this review, I feared that I would do the film injustice. It's too good to be reviewed; it's too good to be judged. And most of all, it's too good to be disrespected. Pulp Fiction will do many things for you, but it will do one of the most important things a great film can do; it will give you a taste of real cinema.
Written by Cole Pollyea

You just did it. I don't care what my brother says. I don't care what my mom says. I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW.
ReplyDeleteYes you do!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't get it. This was the worst movie I have ever seen. To me it had absolutely no artistic value at all.
ReplyDeleteEveryone's entitled to their opinion. I appreciate your commentary.
Delete