Cole's Rating: ★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★★
Director: Brian Helgeland
Year: 2013
Cast: Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie
Genre: Biography/Sports/Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13
It really bothers me that 42 is claimed to be too straightforward, or too “by the book”. It’s as if the label “based on a true story” automatically impedes its qualification of a good movie. I’m here to advise you not to heed the warnings of many critics out there, because 42 is one you’ll enjoy, baseball fan or not.Chadwick Boseman does a great job playing the character of Jackie Robinson, the African American who changed baseball forever. This is a bit shocking as he has appeared in numerous television series, but an extremely minimal amount of movies. And it’s only so often that the actor that plays a role actually looks like the person he’s portraying! What’s even rarer than that is when a movie has the ability to catch me off guard, to completely and utterly surprise me. That’s just what 42 did.
The reason this movie is so enjoyable is because it has the perfect balance of light and heavy material. It focuses on Robinson’s struggle with harassment and cruelty while playing for the MLB, and Branch Ricky’s (owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers) desire to change the game he loves. Despite the dramatic material, you find yourself laughing due to a number of different factors including Harrison Ford’s acting. But overall, I’d just say that 42’s chemistry is a forte.
Never underestimate Jackie Robinson, because like all the rest of the jerks in the baseball industry in the 1940’s who didn’t believe in him, you’ll feel pretty stupid afterwards. That's how I felt about underestimating the film before viewing.I can undoubtedly state that the theater that I viewed 42 in was the most packed theater that I’ve ever been in. Open seats were scarce, as were members of the audience not applauding after the film’s triumphant ending. I earlier stated not to heed critics warnings. So what validates my opinion is the fact that I viewed and loved it as an audience member, a critic, a non-baseball fan, a baseball fan, and a compelled athlete. I think that’s enough to write 42 up as a good movie.
Jesse's Thoughts: I liked 42. It's a simple, well made film about the beloved baseball legend, Jackie Robinson. With a surprisingly different (out of the box) performance by Harrison Ford (GM of the Brooklyn Dodgers) and a luscious background for sense of time and place on the baseball field, the movie wraps everything up in a nice neat little package. What keeps it from greatness is its minimalistic approach to the subject matter. But for its dead on release date catered to the moviegoing public (the same month as Jackie Robinson day), it's a great way to spend an afternoon or evening at the movies.
A very good review that makes me want to see 42 soon.
ReplyDeleteYes, you should. And thank you
DeleteI am a fan of all baseball movies and baseball. I myself played 6 seasons and taught my children the game. Cole, your Dad and Aunt Sam both played. Based on Cole and Jesse's wonderful assessment, I will be seeing this one soon.
ReplyDeleteGreat! Well I definitely recommend it. My dad isn't a baseball fan; how young was he when he played?
ReplyDelete