Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WALK THE LINE

Cole's Rating: ★★★ 1/2
Jesse's Rating: ★★★ 1/2

Director: James Mangold
Year: 2005
Cast: Joaquin Pheonix, Reese Witherspoon, Ginnifer Goodwin
Genre: Biography/Drama/Music
MPAA Rating: PG-13


        Walk The Line is undoubtedly one of the best biopics I have ever seen. You can quote me on that; and I’ve never been more confident in a quote of mine than I am about this. Fortunately, this film doesn’t only expose us to the life story of Johnny Cash, but also June Carter, two of the finest musicians of their time, and how they interacted over the course of their careers.

        Too many times biographies drag, and lack entertainment and the ability to edit themselves as far as surplus content go; and Walk The Line is no exception, as there are a few scenes that if standing alone would qualify it as such. But really, I didn’t feel bored, or deprived of entertainment whatsoever. I was fascinated with Cash’s drug dependency, and marital problems, and persistence; I felt a sense of rawness. Protagonists are often portrayed as flawless, or nearly flawless characters that overcome challenges easily. Not here. Johnny Cash was no saint, just like the rest of the population; and nothing was sugarcoated.


        I think that one of the main reasons that Walk The Line played out so well is because it was riddled with good performances. As Roger Ebert said it, “The music is great. The drama is great. The writing is great. The performances are great. I love it!”. Well said, Ebert. Reese Witherspoon has numerous movies. And let me say that they’re not all good (This Means War). But I never really saw her an incredible actress until this movie. Sure, I was persuaded by Water For Elephants. But this was the deciding factor; it’s her best movie by far. And the same goes for Joaquin Phoenix. Although I seem to be the only critic that loves The Village, I believed that his performance was just ordinary. And Gladiator, the same, despite the fact that he won an Oscar. But once again, this movie is the best of him. These extraordinary performances fueled the film to good measure; it never ran out of gas.

        One of the best things about Walk The Line in my opinion, was the opening introduction to the death of his brother, and what influenced his lifelong dream. That’s what I think a lot of biopics lack, a moving backstory; it isn’t missing here. His relationship with his static parents (another set of good performances) never end from his childhood, throughout his fame, and thereafter. We’re aware of that as viewers, also.   

        All in all, there is an overwhelming sense of reality here. Walk The Line is as real as movies get. Sci-fi lovers beware, you’ll get quite a bit of real life in this movie.

-Written by Cole Pollyea

Jesse's Thoughts: Walk The Line is a biopic that entertains and tells a darn good story. You really get to know the life of a rock legend in Johnny Cash. You also get insight into his strained relationship with his dad, his sadness for the loss of his brother, and his yearning to win the heart of the woman he loves in June Carter. It's a wonderful movie with top notch performances. Easily one of the best films of 2005.

1 comment: