Cole's Rating: ★★★
Jesse's Rating: ★★★ ½
Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Year: 2012
Cast: Jessica Chastain, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt
Genre: Drama/History/Thriller/War
MPAA Rating: R
Zero Dark Thirty tells the story of the greatest manhunt in history: the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. The movie goes into thorough detail on the specific events that took place in the process of locating who may be considered the greatest terrorist of all time. And it's good; but I didn’t find it to be great. While I was watching it, and when I was finished, I had that “been there, done that” type feel. And that’s because although this exact story has never been told, there are only few scenes and elements that have anything unique to offer.Nonetheless, it’s a movie that I’m glad I saw, as it does pay tribute to the brilliant and determined soldiers and theorizers (I say theorizers because the hunt was based off of a hunch) that served and protected our country; it’s your duty to see this film. Luckily, Hollywood is blessed enough to have access to actors/actresses so incredibly talented to portray the necessary characters. It’s no wonder Jessica Chastain won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar, as her strong heroine-type presence accented the film very well; she was around the more masculine characters quite often.
However, the film became slightly difficult to follow about halfway through the film when they were locating Bin Laden’s courier; and it went on much too long (I also believed that some of its time was spent in the wrong places). Those were Zero Dark Thirty’s greatest flaws. But then again, I would’ve preferred it to be longer than shorter... It’s too bad that it couldn’t find a happy medium, like another one of Kathryn Bigelow’s triumphant films, Point Break.
A factor of the movie that fascinated and impressed me was the incredibly well done camerawork, especially during the invasion scene; it was shot in partial night vision, and regular, mostly from first person perspective. Think “Call of Duty”, with realistic graphics and higher quality. And I wasn’t given a headache either... Cough, cough, Bourne Ultimatum, cough, cough.
Overall, Zero Dark Thirty has great qualities: prominent acting, significant storytelling, and potent scenes. It’s just a shame that its excessive length dulls its impact. I recommend it; but I could name other 2012 films worthy of Best Picture consideration over this. -Written by Cole Pollyea
Jesse's Thoughts: With The Hurt Locker (2009) and this searing drama about the relentless pursuit of terrorist Osama Bin Laden, director Kathryn Bigelow has officially entered Steven Soderbergh/Paul Greengrass territory. This is not a bad thing because she is probably the most powerful voice in American filmmaking today anyway. When it comes to casting, you have a calculating and confident movie that hinges on Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain's ferocious performance. She barrels her way through Zero Dark Thirty with an attitude and something to prove.
No comments:
Post a Comment